Browse Items (36 total)

RG150-0003150.png
The Abigail Adams House was built in 1920 as the first dormitory intended to house female students at UMass Amherst, (then the Massachusetts Agricultural College).

When UMass began in 1863 as a land-grant agricultural college, women were not…

RG150-0003174.png
The University of Massachusetts was founded as a Morrill Land Grant school in 1863. The school was originally called the Massachusetts Agricultural College, then the Massachusetts State College in 1931, and finally became the University of…

RG150-0003850.png
Preservation of UMass buildings has been granted a place of importance lately within the campus community. The reaction to the demolition of the trolley station illustrates this renewed interest in the preservation of campus landscapes. The…

RG150-0004139.png
In 1867 Dr. Nathan Durfee donated $10,000 towards the construction of a series of greenhouses on the Massachusetts Agricultural College campus. Architect T.A. Lord designed a series of five buildings which were named the Durfee Plant Houses after the…

RG150-0003346.png
Construction on Marshall Hall at the University of Massachusetts, then called the Massachusetts State College, began in 1915 and was completed in 1916. Built on the west side of what is now Thatcher Road, the building was designed to house the…

RG150-0003373.png
The “Music Cottages” certainly qualify to be among Umass Amherst's lost heritage and landscape. In sincerity, identifying the buildings by this name nearly eliminates any proof that they ever existed. Photographs of the Old Infirmary Group…

RG150-0003323.png
150 years after the Massachusetts Agricultural College acquired the Cowles’ house in 1864, the building still stands on what is now the University of Massachusetts at Amherst campus. Much has been changed, however, in the three centuries since its…

RG150-0003417.png
The Waugh House was the on-campus home of influential landscape architect, and university professor, Frank Albert Waugh (sometimes referred to by his initials, F.A. Waugh). It existed somewhere in close proximity to Wilder Hall. Here Waugh lived…

RG150-0005692.png
Founded in 1961, WFCR has played a vital role in circulating news throughout the Pioneer Valley. Initially located within the Springfield Trade School in Springfield, Massachusetts, WFCR first moved to UMass Amherst in 1967 after the school's Board…

RG150-0003213.png
The Botanical Museum, constructed in 1867 for a total cost of $5,180, was one of the original four buildings built before the first class of students arrived in the fall of the same year. Erected behind the original Durfee Conservatory, the Botanical…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2