Browse Items (36 total)

RG150-0004094.png
Constructed in 1903, Draper Hall has been in existence for over one hundred years. In its first years, Draper Hall was home to the university's only dining hall. Located at a far more convenient portion of campus in relation to the other dining halls…

RG160-0006996.png
In 1886, the administration of the Massachussetts Agricultural College (MAC) appointed Dr. Charles Henry Fernald, one of the most distinguished experts in entomology and zoology, as a professor of zoology and lecturer in the Veterinary Sciences…

RG141-0009609.png
The first female athletic fields to be built at Massachusetts State College were constructed in 1936. The fields stood behind Goessmann Hall, the building visible on the left of the image. Draper Hall is visible on the right of this image, and…

RG150-0004445.png
The University of Massachusetts has long been an institution striving toward growth and expansion, transforming from a modest agrarian college into a large, modern, and bustling campus. This spirit of growth and change is exemplified by the story of…

RG150-0005670.png
Arthur Sharp, University of Massachusetts graduate, designed a waiting station which serviced people in transit for over one hundred years. Completed in 1911 as the Massachusetts Agricultural College trolley station and shelter, the one-story…

RG150-0005263.png
The Five College Radio Astronomy Observatory was founded in 1969 by the Five College Astronomy Department. The observatory was located on a peninsula by the Quabbin Reservoir in the town of New Salem, Massachusetts. It was constructed under the…

RG150-0005177.png
Up until the mid-20th century, UMass had a department of Poultry Science (in some records referred to as the “Poultry Husbandry Department”, or simply the “Poultry Department”) within the Stockbridge School. The primary center of this…

RG150-0004888.png
North College, also known as North Dormitory or Old North, was built in 1867 as housing for students attending the Massachusetts Agricultural College (M.A.C.). The building originally housed approximately sixty-five students. Since M.A.C. was not…

RG150-0004829.png
Prior to its inclusion in the University of Massachusetts, Amherst campus, the area of Mt. Toby, which consisted of the southern part of Montague, Leverett, and Shutesbury, had been under the care of Native American chiefs. As one source claims, the…

RG150-0003275.png
The traditional class emblem, or memento, has often been either a pin or a ring. The class of 1882 wanted to do something different. After much debate, they decided to dedicate a fountain to the university in honor of their graduating class. The…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2