Central Campus

Title

Central Campus

Subject

[no text]

Description

Creator

[no text]

Source

[no text]

Publisher

[no text]

Date

[no text]

Contributor

[no text]

Rights

[no text]

Relation

[no text]

Format

[no text]

Language

[no text]

Type

[no text]

Identifier

[no text]

Coverage

[no text]

Items in the Central Campus Collection

Bartlett Hall
Preservation of UMass buildings has been granted a place of importance lately within the campus community. The reaction to the demolition of the trolley station illustrates this renewed interest in the preservation of campus landscapes. The…

Frank Waugh House
The Waugh House was the on-campus home of influential landscape architect, and university professor, Frank Albert Waugh (sometimes referred to by his initials, F.A. Waugh). It existed somewhere in close proximity to Wilder Hall. Here Waugh lived…

Old Chemistry Lab
The Massachusetts Agricultural College was founded in 1863 and the Old Chemistry Laboratory (also known as College Hall) was one of the first buildings erected on the campus. The Chemistry Laboratory, built in 1867 and expanded two years later, was…

Drill Hall
The state of Massachusetts gave $6,500 for the construction of the Drill Hall that was built on the Massachusetts Agricultural College campus between 1882 and 1883. This large barn-like structure stood on the south hill of South College. Originally,…

Fine Arts Center's Reflecting Pools
The Fine Arts Center, constructed during the early 1970’s, reaching completion in 1974, occupies a prominent space on campus. The building’s unique design was intended to mimic the Elm tree lined walkway that once occupied the space between the…

Class of 1882 Dedicatory Fountain
The traditional class emblem, or memento, has often been either a pin or a ring. The class of 1882 wanted to do something different. After much debate, they decided to dedicate a fountain to the university in honor of their graduating class. The…

North College
North College, also known as North Dormitory or Old North, was built in 1867 as housing for students attending the Massachusetts Agricultural College (M.A.C.). The building originally housed approximately sixty-five students. Since M.A.C. was not…

Poultry Building
Up until the mid-20th century, UMass had a department of Poultry Science (in some records referred to as the “Poultry Husbandry Department”, or simply the “Poultry Department”) within the Stockbridge School. The primary center of this…

Goodell Hall as a Library
The University of Massachusetts has long been an institution striving toward growth and expansion, transforming from a modest agrarian college into a large, modern, and bustling campus. This spirit of growth and change is exemplified by the story of…

Draper as a Dining Hall
Constructed in 1903, Draper Hall has been in existence for over one hundred years. In its first years, Draper Hall was home to the university's only dining hall. Located at a far more convenient portion of campus in relation to the other dining halls…